Thursday, October 22, 2009

Thursday, October 22nd, 2009

When Sam Raimi announced a few weeks back that Bruce Campbell may play a bigger part in Spider-Man 4 than what he has previously done during the film franchise, the rumor mill began to circulate on what villain Campbell could play, most Internet bloggers settling on Mysterio as the most popular possibility. As much as I think this would be a great idea, and would be a step in the right direction to save Raimi's big screen saga of Marvel's web blaster after Spider-Man 3 was met with lukewarm reviews, I have to admit that I was a little disappointed that this news probably meant Dylan Baker and his character of Dr. Curt Connors, was going to be denied the transformation into The Lizard and a major part. Maybe I'm more biased when it comes to Baker than I am the character of The Lizard. Sure, Campbell is awesome, but ever since watching Todd Solondz' dark comedy Happiness, I have felt that Baker is one of the more underrated actors in the cinema industry. But according to an article at Ugo, I may be wrong as Baker confirmed that he will be returning to play Connors once again, although he wouldn't say if he would be receiving a larger part this time around. Of course, I would like to see both characters, but with the biggest complaint of the third installment being villain overload, one would have to expect that changes will be made, and only one main villain, a la Dr. Octopus and the most critically-acclaimed entry, Spider-Man 2.

Yesterday I gave a link, via SlashControl, to watch The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas for free. Despite being on the SlashControl web site, the video was hosted by Hulu, the best, and possibly only legal way to watch good quality, free films online. Well, that is until next year, as Entertainment Weekly broke the news today that Hulu will eventually start charging for services. Honestly, like Hulu doesn't make enough money off of advertising sales.

If you never go, 80sTees.com is one of the better sites on the Interwebs to purchase clothing. Anyhow, I found a link to this awesome "Three Teen Wolf Moon" shirt. Great.

On Cinematical's Shelf Life column today, author Todd Gilchrist took a look at Robert Zemeckis' 1997 science fiction film Contact. I'm kind of shocked to say, not only have I never see the movie, but until tonight after reading Gilchrist's appraisal of how the film holds up nearly thirteen years down the line and searching some reviews on RottenTomatoes and Roger Ebert's web site, I didn't really even know much about it. Despite enjoying Zemeckis and Jodie Foster, the face value of a science fiction flick co-starring Matthew McConaughey is just off-putting enough to not be interested in. Still, I just watched this opening sequence, and now I think I'll put this as top priority to rent. Anybody ever see it? Worth watching? Overrated? Underrated?

No comments:

Post a Comment