Saturday, September 5, 2009

Saturday, September 5th, 2009

On a few occasions on a newsless Saturday, I've turned to pictures of John Waters' MySpace Fan Page, or some of his art, but today he actually made a bit of news, via Movieline and Monika Bartyzel's related column on Cinematical (with reference to Cecil B. DeMented). The articles report that in a recent interview with Modern Painters magazine, Waters claims that he only has two films left. One of the two films will be a children's holiday flick called Fruitcake that has been in development hell for some time. I agree with the Movieline article that if he co-writes Hairspray 2, it doesn't count as his other 50 percent. I personally would love for Waters to pump out one more golden piece of trash cinema, but if he doesn't, I think he has already done enough for the movie industry. It would be a sad day when the official retirement comes, but as of now I am taking it as good news as a possibility of seeing the king of filth in action one last time. Speaking of a new Waters movie, I just found the book, Trash Trio: Three Screenplays (Pink Flamingos, Desperate Living, Flamingos Forever) on Amazon for just a little over a dollar.

So, what else could I possibly have to say on Labor Day Weekend when most of the bloggers are barbequing, raving or whatever the hell people actually do on Labor Day other than watch the Dirty Jobs marathon tomorrow and possibly schedule out a time to eventually see Inglourious Basterds after a very late debut at the local Carmike (if you have another cinema in your town, please don't go to a Carmike) and in my unforunate case, attend a funeral? Well, a few random thoughts... A great countdown of the worst 80's film posters is up at 11Points. Enjoy it.

Adult Swim is currently showing Bleach: Memories of Nobody, the film from the popular anime series. The trailer that has been showing on the programming block over the past few weeks looks absolutely incredible, so it will more than likely be the way I spend the rest of my insomnia-ridden night.

Lastly, I spent most of the day in a mind-numbing seven hour, note-intensive lecture class on substance abuse, a topic that is most off-putting filled with countless stories of people senselessly ruining their lives. Fortunately though, I lucked up and got one of the better professors of my rather long student career thus far. The guy wrote his dissertation on horror films and works about as many movie references into the class as possible, even fitting in to a story about how bitchin' Re-Animator would be under the influence of a hallucinogen. Anyhow, I thought I would share the only decent story of my long fourteen hour day of the dreaded school/work combination by showing a clip of the H.P. Lovecraft adapted 80's horror flick's goriest scenes. The video is obviously NSFW and will probably be taken off of YouTube eventually after somebody with more dignity than I watches, although it does skip over the decapitated oral part. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment