Friday, September 18, 2009

Friday, September 18th, 2009

I just got done voting for the Scream Awards, which is set to air October 27th on Spike TV. As much as the countless Twilight nominations made me want to boycott an award show about science fiction and comic books that is being broadcast on a channel devoted to appeasing the male demographic, I was very much pleased to see that Let the Right One In garnered several nods, including the show's equivalent to Best Picture in genre films, the Ultimate Scream Award. Despite the success the Swedish romantic/vampire flick had in the foreign film awards, as well as critic circles, to my knowledge the Scream Awards will be the first televised show to honor the truly outstanding Tomas Alfredson film. The show is also saturated with plenty of good stuff like J.J. Abrams' Star Trek, Watchmen and my next reading entry, Mark Millar and John Romita, Jr.'s Kick-Ass getting noticed in all the comic book categories. Definitely worth your time to visit their site.


It has become a regular thing on my blog to talk about the latest happenings of The Walt Disney Company, and their conglomerate bastardry in the medium of motion pictures. Today though, via The Hollywood Reporter, we get some nerd-friendly news that Tron Legacy will be released in IMAX. Also, the article cites that 2011's Spider-Man 4 will be shown in IMAX as well, although despite Disney owning Marvel, the movie will be released by Columbia Pictures, whom already had the rights. Still, you got to think that Disney will be happy as it can only make the Marvel stock go up.

Empire has released the character posters for The Fantastic Mr. Fox. Nice.

SpoilerTV has posted the casting call sheet for The Green Lantern. If it is to be believed, Sinestro and Dr. Hector Hammond will be the villains in the big screen adaptation. Let the rumor mill begin.

Variety has a troubling article today. With the recent boom in the 3-D market, Gucci is rushing to release some designer Real D glasses, hoping to get them available before the release of James Cameron's Avatar. I have to admit, Avatar is a high priority in my upcoming movies list, but this whole 3-D craze has got to stop soon.

And it is Friday, so to cover a bit of our options for the weekend, we have two movies that look pretty good. First, Jennifer's Body intrigues me, looking reminiscent of John Landis' Innocent Blood, fused with Diablo Cody's own unique hipster linguistic style as seen in Juno, and Megan Fox in probably the only role that truly suits her wacky public persona. I mean, if she does decent in this, after pretty much denouncing the Transformers movies, comparing Michael Bay to Hitler, and starring in next year's Jonah Hex, I may actually become a fan. Also, there is The Informant!. I still haven't seen anything that makes me know this will be really awesome. Being that it is a Steven Soderbergh movie starring Matt Damon is enough to get me in the seats, and with all the reviews, I hope that I will be pleasantly surprised. The only problem is the limited release means I won't get to see it until it goes wide, or until its DVD birth. I actually don't mind the lackluster trailers, as it gives it a chance to exceed expectations, I just hope it lives up to reviews. Finally, among a few other movies that don't really stand out to me is Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. There is better children's movies coming. Note The Fantastic Mr. Fox above.

P.S. Tomorrow is International Talk-Like-a-Pirate Day. Hope all you Pastafarians spread the message of the Flying Spaghetti Monster and his swashbuckling chosen people. Tomorrow, if my Internet withstands, I'll be back with some piratey goodness to celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment