Friday, August 28, 2009

Friday, August 28th, 2009

Before Frank Darabont directed the seminal classic The Shawshank Redemption, he was known to some cinema-lovers as one of the scribes on the failed remake of the bizarre horror flick, The Blob. After reading a Variety article that Rob Zombie, director of Halloween II, opening today actually, was working on a script treatment for another remake of the Steve McQueen starring 1958 original version to start production after his music tour this winter, the Darabont connection was the most positive comment I could think of, for a director that I generally enjoy. I loved watching the Zombie hosted TCM Underground, so I know the director himself has decent taste. His original films, The Devil's Rejects for example, work as exploitative throwback homages to the films he enjoyed in a different era. Yet, when he took on John Carpenter's excellent Halloween, a film I still consider to be one of the scariest ever made despite the passage of time, I couldn't see how he expected to top it, and if that wasn't his goal, why even soil the name of the fantastic slasher? But the most unsettling part about the read beyond the link is not that Zombie may potentially destroy the kitschy 50's horror movie, but that they quote the White Zombie front man as saying that his "intention is not to have a big red blobby thing". Maybe next, he can ruin Tod Browning's Freaks, you know, without the freaks... Ridiculous.

A film that I've not heard very much about is Agora, set to be released this December, starring Rachel Wiesz and directed by Alejandro Amenabar. The film is the supposed true story retelling of the life of Hypatia of Alexandria. My personal opinion thus far coincides with a good user review I saw on the film's IMDb page, pretty much insinuating that Weisz looks incredible in a film that she is too good for. Still, I will probably give this thing a chance, provided my mind hasn't completed imploded, seeing that this film will follow Avatar.


I was a bit turned off when I heard rumors a while back about a Heathers remake. Variety this morning pretty much confirms that it will no longer happen, although it is in the worst way possible, via the announcement that Fox is pursuing the property to be re-worked as a series... being penned by Sex and the City's Jenny Bicks. I mean sure, maybe it is unfair to judge by the screenwriter's other work, seeing that Daniel Waters, the original scribe of the 1989 Michael Lehmann film, went on the next year to write one of the worst movies of all time, the Andrew Dice Clay disaster, The Adventures of Ford Fairlane. Still, it gives an insomniac movie blogger something to bitch about.

I mentioned up there that Halloween II comes out today. Of course, this is the most commercial release of the week, and something I actually intend on seeing. Zombie's version of Halloween I actually thought would have been great if it was a film of itself, but operating within the shadow of Carpenter's great movie, just didn't have enough strength to live up to the original. I still think Zombie's second part in the series has a tall order in matching up to Carpenter's sequel effort, which was panned by about half of the critics. I have watched every Halloween film though, and can't wait to see if Zombie can prove my preconceptions wrong. This is still not my most anticipated film of the week though. That prestige belongs to Robert D. Seigel's directorial debut in the Patton Oswalt starring dramedy Big Fan. The trailer to the film looked absolutely excellent, and I have already blogged on how I hope Oswalt's performance matches what the trailer teases, as he could be considered for an everyman choice at the Academy Awards. Also this week, we have another sports movie, The Open Road, starring the interesting combination of Justin Timberlake and Jeff Bridges that if, for nothing else, would be worth watching just for that pairing. And finally, The Final Destination gets a wide release this week, ruining any credibility to the 3-D medium that all the Avatar hype has installed this past week.

Notice I mentioned Avatar twice? Well, it's getting to the point where I can foresee being required to mention James Cameron's upcoming effort daily on this blog. Today's piece of choice, via Cinematical, a video of Hitler's disliking the hype, in the much used clip of Bruno Ganz' brilliant Downfall performance. It may be sad that Ganz' pitch-perfect acting skills will be more remembered as an Internet meme than the masterful performance that it was, but you can't help but be entertained.

No comments:

Post a Comment